Friday, August 24, 2018

Ipoh

#1

This is my first road trip experience with my friends . Usually, I only do a day trip where we spend half of the day driving to the destination and it is always Melaka. This time, it is a complete foodie trip because I don't remember being hungry at all. I feel so full all the time that I just want to take nap right after the meal. 

It was a 3D2N trip to Teluk Intan and Ipoh , with locals bringing us around town and their famous touristy spots. 

Our first stop was Teluk Intan ; 


#1 Hawaii Teluk Intan

#2

This place is actually a dessert shop, famous for their 'hawaii' shaved ice . However, there are food trucks right outside this eatery where it serves other things. Besides their shave ice, they do have food as well. We stopped by here for lunch - then desserts right after. The weather were terribly hot. 


#2 Leaning Tower

#3

#4

Menara Jam Condong, is claimed as the Malaysian version of Leaning Tower of Pisa. This building is the icon of this small town in Perak, on a square which is claimed as the central of the city. 


#5

Here is a picture of noodles right before we head down to ipoh because I forgot to take pictures of their famous Teluk Intan Chee Cheong Fun. It was really good , and I remember I was fighting for the last piece without shame. 

Once we reach ipoh, the real foodie trip starts because we all know that Ipoh is where we head to for good food besides Penang.


#3 Nam Heong 

#6

This MUST be the first stop. 

The trip will never be complete with ipoh white coffee , egg tarts and custard. I know that we already have Nam Heong here in KL with aircond and comfortable sittings, but it will never beat the taste of originality. 

#7

Crispy egg tarts.


#8


#4 V-Nest Healthy & Wellness Cafe

#9

I can never get away from cafes no matter where I go - and this particular cafe is special since their selling product is actually bird nest. This approach is really creative - putting bird nest , brunch and coffee together. I like how they promote health products in another way , breaking down the traditional walls. 

#10

#11

This is my ever first time seeing a three tier high tea set which includes osmanthus jelly and bird nest tarts. They put bird nest on the bite size tarts. I never actually imagine cheese tarts would go with bird nest , and it actually tastes pretty okay.


#12

My favourite flavor from the three tier set is probably this lemon tart topped with bird nest. 

Besides, they are reasonably priced which is worth visiting. This place is actually instaworthy , having different perfect corners for your ootd. 
If you want to try a different type of afternoon tea and hide away from the weather, this is the place where you should go. 

They actually have bottles of bird nest price reasonably in store, where you can just buy as souvenir. 

#13

#14


#5 OOTD with old heritage buildings.

#15

#16

Taking touristy picture right in front of the old heritage building is one of the things, to show that you are here. 


#6 Cowan Street Chicken Rice

#17

There are numerous of  'nga choi kai' in ipoh , where the tourist often go for Lou Wong and Onn Kee since it is always recommended online, being hyped up on social medias and food blogs.  But Cowan Street Bean Sprouts Chicken rice is where the locals go for , often for dinner. That's why we always need a local to bring us around , if not we will be missing out on good stuff.

The chicken rice were so delicious that we actually added more. I had 'hor fun' instead of rice, and it's still good. If a plain bowl of hor fun taste good, means it's really good.


#7 Sun Tuck Kee

#18

This is our second dinner, right after we had chicken rice. 

This place is two doors right beside Tuck Kee Fried Noodles. I forgot the reason why we didn't go for Tuck Kee but here. Yes, their names are pretty misleading. To be fair, this place is not bad as well. 


#19

This is my favourite - and also, the most popular order. I like how I can slurp the slippery smooth hor fun after being stirred with raw egg. 


#20

Poached baby octopus served with soy sauce is good, since it is perfectly cooked. I like how crunchy the texture is and still remain as chewy. 
This is a MUST order.


#8 Ming Court Dim Sum

#21

#22

I have always been a fan of Ming Court Dimsum compared to Fu Shan. I prefer this place because they always come to the table quick , having more choices. I like their black sesame paste and peanut paste but they ran out that day since it is almost noon. Ming Court opens around 5am , and I was pretty sad that I didn't have black sesame paste. 

#9 Thean Chun 

#23

Everytime we think about chicken shredded noodles , it's Thean Chun. 

Often, there is a need to queue. But since this is our second lunch ( yes, right after dimsum) , the place is almost empty since they are closing soon. I like the taste of prawn oil in the broth - and I usually don't drink soup when I eat out. 

#10 Funny Mountain Tau Fu Fa

#24

No pictures of taufufa so here it is , my friends and I taking selfies with the bowl of taufufa.

We were contemplating between Woong Kee and Funny Mountain and decided to go for the famous one instead. The taufufa is nice , but not as great as I thought. It's really smooth. I am a fan of taufufa but I found something lacking in there. It's just a small bowl so you might wanna go for two if you really like it. 

#11 Patisserie Boutique

#25

#26

This is one of famous cafe around Ipoh. They have various of cakes and drinks . For their cakes, they actually sell pretty fast. 

#27

I like everything matcha/greentea so I went for the matcha caramel cake and matcha lava croissant. The cake was a little too sweet. The croissant was the bomb. It wasn't too sweet and the croissant was crispy since it is heated up. 

If you ever visit here, go for the matcha lava croissant!

#12  Sin Eng Heong

#28

#29

This place is a to go for Kaya Puffs. I always ask people to get them for me , always two boxes. Now that I am here, 4 boxes please!

However, there is a need to queue - but good things come to those who wait. 

#30

And off we go!


#31

This trip was really long ago , and I actually blog with whatever I have with me. Tell me if there are more local things to do so I can head there the next time.

xx