Thursday, August 30, 2018

Cafe hoppin' in Seoul City.

#1

Besides cheap cosmetics shopping ,  cafe hopping is one of the reason I like Seoul. They have a different coffee culture. Most of their cafes are insta worthy. 

There are too many cafes around so I have pick up a few that I'm interested in to visit. I don't think I can ever blog them all so I am picking out a few that I think which is worth visiting besides the mainstream ones that you could find on instagram


#1 Florte Flower Cafe

#2

I know that many will think of Arriate when it comes to flower concept cafe in Seoul. Arriate was in my list , but I decided to head to Florte since it is just right around the corner of our stay and it is not as famous yet.

Everything feels magical once you step in, as if you are walking into a blooming flower forest. I like how the owner arrange her own flower as props around. 

#3

Besides the beautiful setting , they have various drinks available from tea to coffee. They have cakes and light bites , but their selling point is their floral latte and beautiful flower setting.


#4

The ice is flower shaped too. 

#5

 #2 Paulin Pancakes

#6 

Just realized how bad my fingers look in this picture.

Paulin is newly opened when we first visited , and they major in souffle pancakes  where they have earl grey and tiramisu pancakes for your sweet tooth.


#7

We ordered their recommended tiramisu pancakes, with caramel ice cream. 

I expected it to be really sweet but it tasted alright with their coffee toppings. The ice cream sweetness actually go very well with the pancakes. As for the texture of their pancakes, they are not as jiggly as the ones I seen online because it settles between the texture of souffle pancakes and normal cakes. 

I love how soft their pancakes are and it tasted a little like whipped cream in the middle. 

#8

It feels like I see romance in every corner of Seoul.


#3 On Ne Sait Jamais

#8

#9

#10

Hannam-dong is where a lot of trendy and exquisite cafes are located. This cafe is a MUST visit on my list despite not being that well-known back then. 

'On ne sait jamais' means you never know, in French - and I wonder if it is named because they did not specify the theme of the cafe. Until now, I am still not sure about the theme of this cafe. I just like it because it is really different. 

Many cafes goes with sophisticated, vintage and contemporary interior with clear concepts but here , it is tiled walls and floors which reminds me of the bathroom or Korean bathhouse concept. I did a little reading about the cafe and the Director whom designed this cafe puts the concept as 'People can envision what they want from it.'
To me, this cafe is kinda like an art - no explainations, just feelings. 

This cafe serves Anthracite coffee , and fresh American, Japanese, Fresh and Italian-styled baked goods and desserts. 

#11

We opt for the macaroon layered cake which was alright and their famous drop shaped like Mont Blanc cake.

#12

Here is a clearer picture of their famous Mont Blanc cake which tasted like meringue on the outside with chestnut puree and biscuit on the inside. The texture is very special, because I've never tried cake like this before. 

I am not a fan of meringue , so I wouldn't said that it was really good but my friends like it. 

#13

#14


#4 Anthracite Coffee Roasters

#15

Many cafes in Seoul are using beans from Anthracite , and I know that I need to visit their store to get a better taste of it. Despite the fact that we can have Anthracite Coffee everywhere , in different cafe, but it is different. 

This cafe is located at Itaewon - where many would visit for One in a million .For me, I chose to have good coffee and to be honest, this place is one of those cafes that gives you a lot of 'feels' as if you are in a Korean drama. 

#16

#17

#18

This cafe gives out industrial-chic vibes ; i love how they have benches outside overlooking the main road. 


#19

They are famous for their espresso drinks with their Butter Fat Trio blend. They have four kinds of pour over where they have different beans from different place. I was spoiled for choice so I asked for recommendation and she suggested me to have The Challem pour over , with beans from Kenya. 
The other two - Iced latte and Banko pour over from Ethiopia.

Hands down to the best coffee I have so far - the iced Challem was so goooood.

This is true coffee, and for all coffee lovers, this is a place that you need to visit !


#20 

The first sip was heavenly , and that was my 3rd cup for the day. 

Not just the coffee , they also have cakes and pastry but we skipped that since it was almost time for dinner. This place is really comfortable since I went around late evening when the sun sets and the wind started to blow. 

#21

#22

#5 D'ssent

#23

This marble themed cafe is popular with their sleek marble themed interior featuring rose gold, silver and pink, located right in the middle of the streets of aesthetics and cosmetics hospital  

Instead of Dior Cafe, we decided to visit D'ssent which is located in Gangnam - definitely no where near anywhere we plan to go afterwards. Situated in a luxurious district , this cafe looks sophisticated and their prices are definitely on the higher end. 

#24

#25

Their signature drink has to be their latte - where it features a pink later of beet-flavored cream on top. As for me, I opt for the blue cream latte - which is seasonal , and just to match with my outfit. 

Their signature red velvet cheesecake is highly recommended, but we didn't go for that instead we went for their green tea flavoured eclair , and then proceed to add beetroot cream eclair (we are always greedy when it comes to cakes.)

#26

Look at how beautiful this combination is.

#25

#26

Even their plates are in marble , and I love how their fork matches everything. 

This place is so beautiful.

And not to mention, their latte is pretty good . This is my first time trying cream latte , and it's really good. The texture is a little more thicker and it wasn't sweet at all.
How can it look so pretty and taste yummy at the same time?


#27

#28

#29 

I can never get over this palette. 

And the barrister even took nice photos for us ; this place is a must go!


#30

#31

#32

#33 

They even put effort in decorating their toilet , making sure it matches up to the theme. 

#6 Innisfree Green Cafe

#34

Most of my money went to Innisfree when I was in Seoul. This impulse buying is due to the instant tax rebate in store.. On the last day right before we leave, I insisted to head to innisfree the last time to stock up some of my skincare and some cosmetics. And also, to visit innisfree cafe. The ground floor is the store and just walk up the stairs, you will reach the cafe already. They also have an area for VR experience - perfect for a fan of Lee Min Ho.

#35

#36

Just like how it looks like, the things they have on the menu is healthy . Besides coffee and cakes, they do have meals. Most of their recommended items are in green tea flavour. 

#37

We went for their Jeju green tea beverages of latte and cappucino  , with green tea cloud souffle . The combination of espresso milk coffee and green tea cream , makes the drink really filling. The drink is really smooth. 

I'd prefer the cappucino based instead of the latte based since it has more caffeine, and it taste complete differently when I take a sip of the drink before having it with the cream. With latte , the milky texture kinda covers up the green tea cream. 

Green tea souffle was smooth  - sandwiching green tea cakes here and there. It is like tiramisu but in green tea flavored. 

#38


#7 Stylenanda Pink Pool Cafe

#39

Stylenanda Pink hotel has six floors where the highest floor, features the pink pool cafe.  From clothes to accessories , floors of make up to cafe - I was in awe. Everything in this building is all about pink and gold. Everything is so detailed and charming. 

This place is worth touring - and also, they have tax rebate for their make up where each of us got ourselves something. 

#40

#41

Even the elevator is beautiful.


#42

#43

The cafe features bathroom tiles, portraying summer themed bathroom where the top floor is where the pool are - but unfortunately, we didn't go up. It was under maintenance when we visited.  

#7 Cha-teul Tea House

#44

This is a different kind of experience - strolling around BukChon village in hanbok to experience how Korean feels like living in the past. The village is small, quiet and unique. We were lucky that it wasn't crowded when we visited so we are able to walk around freely. 

And instead of a cafe , we went to a tea house. 

#45

Cha-Teul Tea House is a traditional Korean tea house located at the top of the hill in Bukchon village , where it has an interior courtyard garden. 


#46

#47

Look at the beautiful interior courtyard garden , where it reminds of the old korean dramas . 

They have quite a number of soothing tea flavours to choose from , and some light korean refreshments. 

#48

We ordered iced blossom tea which was recommended , and me being the typical caffeine addict asked for iced black where everyone judged me - I need my coffee everyday and that day, it was my first cup. The first sip tastes like heaven for me.  

The weather was terribly hot that day , and we were wearing hanbok walking around. We ordered pat bingsu which they have recently added in their menu. Though it taste heavenly at that point of time due to the weather , I still find their milk shaved ice a little rough . 


#49

This is their signature steamed pumpkin rice cake ( hobaktteok ), where it is only steamed upon order requiring approximately 20 minutes serving time. 

#50

The texture is almost similar to Chinese 'fa gao' , but slightly denser and more sticky in texture where you can see how the rice cake sticks to the spoon. I kinda like the rice cake since I love pumpkin. If you are already in the tea house , I guess extra 20 minutes would not be long because you will be busy looking around. The tea house is really beautiful.


#51

#52

This is an experience you wouldn't wanna miss - wearing hanbok and having tea with your girlfriends in a beautiful tea house.

#53

By the time we finished resting, it was sun set already.
Look at how beautiful it is.


These are the cafes that I would recommend you to visit when you are in Seoul, and many of them are in different area. When you drop by the specific area, you can head to one of them.

As for my favourite ,
It will go to Anthracite Coffee Roasters. 
Visit them for reaaaaaaaaal coffee.


#54

I am finally done with my cafe hopping updates - it took me a while to compile everything up and decide which should be on this page.

And also,
drop me a message if you have anywhere to recommend for my next visit to Seoul. 

xx



Here are the details of the cafes to make your life easier :

Florte Flower Café - 22 Sinchon-ro 6-gil, Seogyo-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Paulin Pancake - 342-11 Seogyo-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea
On Ne Sait Jamais -  684-101 Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Anthracite Coffee Roasters -  240 Itaewon-ro, Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea
D'ssent -  215 Dosan-daero, Sinsa-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Innisfree Green Café - 15, Myeongdong-gil, Jung-gu, Seoul
StyleNanda Pink Hotel & Pink Pool Cafe - 37-8, Myeongdong 8-gil, Jung-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Cha-teul - 26 Bukchon-ro 11na-gil, Samcheong-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul,